If you find yourself putting on an extra layer or reaching for a blanket in one particular room, you may have noticed an inconsistency in how your home is heated.
Finding that one room in your home runs a bit colder than the others isn’t uncommon. There are multiple factors that may be involved, and the good news is there are some things you can easily check yourself or have an MTB technician assess.
- Blocked Air Vents – The first thing you’ll want to do is check all vents in your colder room. Be sure they’re open and aren’t blocked by a rug or piece of furniture.
- Thermostat Calibrations – If your home has multiple thermostats and heating zones, the one controlling your colder room may be incorrectly set or developed an issue. If a reset doesn’t do the trick, an MTB technician can assess the situation and install a new thermostat if needed.
- Drafty Windows, Doors and Fireplaces – Even the smallest cracks can result in substantial heat loss. Check all the openings around windows and outside doors. If you spot cracks, feel cold spots or the movement of drafty colder air, this space can benefit from caulking or weather stripping. Also, be sure fireplace flues are closed when not in use.
- Home Layout – Sometimes a colder room is simply about the orientation of your home. South-facing rooms may be benefiting from the sun’s warmth during the day, or trees that offer shade could be blocking a certain room from additional natural heat.
- Faulty Ductwork – Up to 20% of the warm air generated by your heating system can be lost through cracks or leaks in your ductwork. An MTB technician can conduct a heat evaluation to identify weak spots like these in your system.
- Improperly Functioning Heater – If it has been some time since you replaced your system, or if you’ve recently done any remodeling, your current heater may not be optimal. Whether it’s an aging system, or one that simply isn’t large enough to adequately heat your home, performing an analysis can help you decide on next steps.
If you’ve tried to remedy your cold room with no results, schedule an appointment with an expert MTB technician or give us a call at 704-321-9250.
For A/C, bigger isn’t always better
Choosing the right-sized air conditioning system for your home is crucial, not only for overall energy efficiency, but for your comfort needs as well. That’s why MTB Mechanical comes to…
Get clear on how windows affect energy efficiency
Let’s say your air conditioning system is operating as it should. But you still notice certain rooms getting warmer than others, or maybe you see cooling bills rising higher than…