Whether you’re planning a smaller do-it-yourself project or a major undertaking, home renovations can have unintended impacts on your HVAC system. The goal of any renovation is improvement, so consider these five tips to make sure your remodel doesn’t negatively affect your HVAC.
- Avoid running your HVAC system while work is being done. Your system draws air from inside your home, heats or cools it, then pumps it back out. That means dust and other debris will travel with that air. If work is being done right near your unit, cover it while the work is happening to prevent it from being inundated with debris like sawdust. Remove the cover when work has stopped for the day.
- Close your vents. Even with your HVAC system switched off, dust and debris can get into your registers and settle into the ductwork. As much as possible, keep dusty jobs like sawing and sanding outdoors.
- Tidy up often. Dust that is allowed to pile up moves further faster. Keep workspaces as clean as possible to prevent the travel of debris through your home.
- Keep an eye on your air filters. Regardless of how careful you are, it is unavoidable to have some dust end up in your air filter. Check your filter often and change it when it looks dirty. If you have a hard time remembering to change your filters, sign up for our email reminders.
- Consider how suitable your current system is for your future home. If your remodel includes adding square footage, it’s best to have a qualified HVAC professional determine whether or not your current heating and cooling system can support the new space. A system that is too small will have a shorter lifespan and run inefficiently, wasting energy and increasing your utility bills.
Questions about how your renovation will impact the life of your HVAC? Get ahead of the game and eliminate the guesswork by scheduling an appointment with an MTB technician. When it comes to the comfort of your home, we’re here to make sure you have all the expert information you need to make each project a success.
Your Comfort – It’s Essential – MTB Continues Providing HVAC Service to Greater Charlotte Area
MTB is here to help you stay comfortable during an extended time at home.
MTB Employee Spotlight: Meet Jordan Devine
Whether she’s at work or at home, Jordan Devine’s life revolves around family. In her spare time, you can find […]