The Charlotte area is expecting icy weather to arrive this evening. Just a small amount of ice can break trees and down power lines causing power outages that can last for days. Preparation can make all of the differece in getting through a loss of power. Below is a list of tips to help you prepare for an ice storm and to stay safe and warm should you lose power.Basic Items to have in your home before an ice storm:
* Flashlights with fresh batteries
* Nonperishable food to last for a few days and pet food
* Manual can opener
* A camping stove or grill
* Battery operated radio
* Prescription medication
* Entertainmnet such as board games, books etc.
During Ice Storm Recovery:
* Stay away from all downed power lines
* Maintaining warmth is a priority to avoid hypothermia
* Stay inside and dress in warm, layered clothing
* Close off unneeded rooms to preserve heat
* Stuff towels and rugs underneath doors to keep in heat
* Cover windows at night
* Eat… Food provides the body with energy for creating its own heat
* Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated
* Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside your home
How to Properly Heat an Empty House in Wintertime
Vacation homes and rental properties can be at higher risk for cold-related damage if they’re not often occupied. A little preparation can help.
Improve Your Indoor Air Quality With Houseplants
Houseplants do much more than beautify your home. They can actually improve your health by making indoor air fresher and cleaner.