Have you ever made a mad dash from your warm bed down a cold hallway to turn up your heat at night? Sometimes I’d rather lie there shivering than move from under the covers. Well guess what, those days are over thanks to programmable thermostats. These thermostats allow you to program temperature settings with your schedule and they save you money.The following tips will help you get the most out of a programmable thermostat.
* Make sure your programmable thermostat is installed on an interior wall away from windows and heat registers.
* The benfits of energy-saving settings are maximized when they are held for a period of at least 8 hours.
* Thermostats include a temporary override that allows you to heat or cool an area without affecting the settings which will resume at the next programmed period. Don’t get in the habit of relying on this feature as it can negate any savings you’re getting.
* Don’t confuse the temporary override with the hold/vacation/permanent setting. This option should be used only for an abscence of several days or more.
* Don’t bump the temperature up or down to get quick relief. You’re just wasting energy. Your programmable thermostat will work most efficiently when you set your desired temperature and let it go to work.
MTB Employee Spotlight: Meet Sally Walling
Sally Walling joined the MTB team over a year ago and works in the billing department for new construction. She […]
Why a Licensed HVAC Contractor Can Save Your Home Value
A licensed contractor makes all the difference. Unpermitted work by someone who isn't licensed can have major consequences when it comes time to sell your home.