Have you ever made a mad dash from your warm bed down a cold hallway to turn up your heat at night? Sometimes I’d rather lie there shivering than move from under the covers. Well guess what, those days are over thanks to programmable thermostats. These thermostats allow you to program temperature settings with your schedule and they save you money.The following tips will help you get the most out of a programmable thermostat.
* Make sure your programmable thermostat is installed on an interior wall away from windows and heat registers.
* The benfits of energy-saving settings are maximized when they are held for a period of at least 8 hours.
* Thermostats include a temporary override that allows you to heat or cool an area without affecting the settings which will resume at the next programmed period. Don’t get in the habit of relying on this feature as it can negate any savings you’re getting.
* Don’t confuse the temporary override with the hold/vacation/permanent setting. This option should be used only for an abscence of several days or more.
* Don’t bump the temperature up or down to get quick relief. You’re just wasting energy. Your programmable thermostat will work most efficiently when you set your desired temperature and let it go to work.
What every NEW homeowner should know about HVAC
Are you thinking about purchasing a new home, or have you just taken the first plunge into homeownership? At MTB Mechanical, we know you have a lot on your plate…
Tips to save energy (and money) in colder months
MTB Mechanical reminds you that by thinking ahead and taking a few simple steps, it can be surprisingly easy to save both energy and money during the cool fall season…