Coping with hot July temperatures can be tough. Fortunately, humans have ways of cooling themselves off. We can sweat, enjoy a cold drink or go inside where there is air conditioning. Our pets don’t have these otpions. They must rely on us to make sure they’re kept safe, with cool water, shade and air conditioning. It is imperative for your pet’s safety that they are protected from the intense heat outside. Below is some information that will help you keep your pet safe.Pet Heat Safety Facts
– A healthy dog’s temperature runs around 102.5 degrees
– A healthy cat’s temperature can run from 99.5 to 102.5 degrees
– Even in cooler weather leaving your pet in a car can be very dangerous
– On a 70 degree day a car can reach 104 degrees in as little as 30 minutes. ( This puts dogs and cats at the risk of heat stroke)
– On a 95 degree summer day, a car’s interior can reach 129 degrees in 30 minutes.
If you suspect your pet is suffering from heat exhaustion or heat stroke, fast action must be taken to save them.
– Get the animal into the shade or an air conditioned room
– Have someone start and cool your car down.
– Pour cool (not cold) water on your pet. Call ahead to your vet to let them know you are coming.
– Place ice packs or cold towels on their head, neck and chest for the car ride to the vet.
– Let them drink small amounts of water or lick ice cubes.
Preventing Heat Stroke in Pets
– Make sure your pet always has access to clean, cool water and a shady place to rest.
– Keep your pet’s coat well groomed. Long coats can serve as insulation if it has been groomed to remove the undercoat.
– Make sure any outdoor or large kennels have adequate air conditioning.
– Bring your pet inside. You wouldn’t leave a toddler outside in the 95 degree heat. Your pet is family too. Remember if it is too hot for you, it is definitely too hot for them.
If you are having any problems with your air conditioner, give MTB Heating and Air a call. We will make sure your family and your pets stay cool and comfortable all Summer.
For A/C, bigger isn’t always better
Choosing the right-sized air conditioning system for your home is crucial, not only for overall energy efficiency, but for your comfort needs as well. That’s why MTB Mechanical comes to…
Get clear on how windows affect energy efficiency
Let’s say your air conditioning system is operating as it should. But you still notice certain rooms getting warmer than others, or maybe you see cooling bills rising higher than…