A central air conditioning system has become an essential element for escaping the outdoor heat and humidity. We rely heavily on a/c to help us through the hot summer and this puts a lot of wear and tear on our systems. There are some things you can do to help get the most life and best cooling out of your a/c. Follow the simple tips below and enjoy the rest of your summer cool and comfortable.* Outside, remove overgrown shrubbery, flowers, weeds, grass and tree branches from within three feet of the air conditioning unit. Units require plenty of air flow for optimal functioning.
* Keep the air vents open. Once every six months take off the vent coverings and clean them. Use a vacuum extension hose to remove dust and debris from the opening.
* Check the air filter on a monthly basis. Replace it when it looks dirty. At minimum, replace the filter every three months.
* Pour a 10% bleach solution down the condensate drain once per month. This prevents obstructions (mold, mildew) in the drain.
* Keep boxes and other items away from the indoor unit.
* Use a water hose with spraying attachment to hose off the metal grille and fans of the outdoor unit.
* Determine the best thermostat setting for your comfort and pocketbook. A programmable thermostat will shave money off your power bill. MTB Heating and Air offers several wireless programmable thermostats.
What every NEW homeowner should know about HVAC
Are you thinking about purchasing a new home, or have you just taken the first plunge into homeownership? At MTB Mechanical, we know you have a lot on your plate…
Tips to save energy (and money) in colder months
MTB Mechanical reminds you that by thinking ahead and taking a few simple steps, it can be surprisingly easy to save both energy and money during the cool fall season…