The end of Summer is close at hand. If you wonder why you are still sneezing you are not alone. It is estimated that between 10-30% of Americans suffer from hay fever. Hay feveris reponsible for sniffing, sneezing, congestion, sleep disruption, red puffy eyes, itchy throat and hives.Hay fever is primarily caused by Ragweed an attractive plant that causes so many people suffer because it is everywhere. There are at least 17 species of Ragweed in the US and one plant can release as many as 1 billion grains of pollen over a single Ragweed season. There is literallly no corner of our country that is free of Ragweed. In addition, the pollen grains are very light in weight and can be blown for long distances. In fact, pollen has been detected as much as 400 miles out over the ocean and up to 200 miles high into the atmosphere.
Hay fever season typically begins the first of August and lasts through mid October; although, rising temperatures and carbon dioxide levels are extending the season. If you are suffering from the symptoms of hay fever, there are some ways you can reduce your exposure to Ragweed and lessen your misery.
1) Stay indoors as much as possible between the hours of 10am-4pm.
2) At home and in the car close windows and keep the a/c on. Use a high quality air filter for your air conditioning system and remember to change it often.
3) Change your clothes after spending time outdoors.
4) Have MTB Heating and Air install a UV Germicidal Light into your HVAC ductwork to eliminate pollen, viruses and germs
To alleviate symptoms:
1) Try nasal irrigation with a neti pot.
2) Try an OTC antihistimine
3) Drink lots of water. Hydration is important
4) If symptoms become too overwhelming seek help from an allergy specialist.
Help! Why Is Water Leaking From my Air Conditioner?
Water leaking from your air conditioner is more than an annoyance. It can cause serious problems, from water staining and […]
MTB Employee Spotlight: Meet Sally Walling
Sally Walling joined the MTB team over a year ago and works in the billing department for new construction. She […]