- Let the light in. Take advantage of the sun and open curtains on your windows to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home. Close them at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
- Cover or weatherize drafty windows. Install insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty. For extreme drafts, use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet, or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames.
- Find and seal leaks. Seal around pipes, gaps around chimneys and recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and entryways to unfinished spaces.
- Close your fireplace damper. Unless a fire is burning, of course! Keeping the damper open when the fireplace isn’t in use is like keeping a window wide open; it allows warm air to go right up the chimney.
- Maintain your heating system. Did you know that heating systems receiving regular maintenance are 80% less likely to break down, and can operate up to 30% more efficiently? In addition, your HVAC manufacturer requires annual maintenance to keep the warranty intact. Just like a new car, your heating and cooling equipment needs regular cleaning and maintenance to keep it running at factory specifications and to prolong its life span.
If you haven’t already, sign up today to become a Priority Comfort Agreement (PCA) customer with MTB. You receive one heating and one cooling visit per year, a 57-point maintenance tune-up, and 50% off diagnostic fees. To learn more about PCA, give us a call at (704) 459-4066 , or see the advantages here.